Time again for the annual Consumer Electronics Show (CES), January 7-10, 2014 in Las Vegas, Nevada, and the list of digital health and fitness exhibitors continues to grow. We decided to give our readers a head’s up on some of the more innovative rehabilitation technologies that will be on display.
- ACTON: The ACT!ON M is an electric sit/stand scooter that collapses to a carry-on size. Each removable battery pack gets 6-7 miles per charge and takes 4-5 hours to charge. There is even an add on basket and cup holder. This would be great forshort-term/post-surgical mobility issues.
- Biospace: Among the company’s products is what looks like a beefed up doctor’s scale – the InBody 720. It provides an analysis of body composition data including:BMI, Edema Index and segmental muscle strength all of which could be used disease precursors for preventative interventions.
- EyeTech Digital Systems: At $350, EyeTech is a fairly affordable system for use by patients with ALS, Cerebral Palsy, TBIs, strokes and other musculo-neurological conditions giving them access to means of communication and learning. It mounts on either wheelchairs or beds.
- Independa: Teaming with electronics giant, LG, and utilizing their proprietary Angela software, Independa is trying to combat the social isolationism many seniors experience by way of the world’s first TV with embedded care services. The TV enables video chats, photo-sharing and emails with family and friends, meds reminders and integrated health info to name a few. The TV is appropriate for adults in both ALFs and aging in place.
- SenseGiz Technologies: SenseGiz is a wearable technology that can automatically alert wearers’ designated contacts in the case of an emergency, such as a fall or crash. It comes in a clip on or watch version.
Whether you are a PT, OT, SLP, or Director of Rehabilitation the CES is a great marketplace for practical and cutting edge technologies that can and will make your patients’ lives and your job easier. At Centra, we know that cutting edge technology changes lives and we use it to find you employment opportunities that will change yours! Call us today at 800-535-0076 or download our mobile app.