Every year 45% of the American population make New Year’s Resolutions, but only 8% are successful in keeping them; this according to Statistic Brain. Undeterred by this dismal statistic, we have compiled a list of the most popular resolutions along with books and technologies that may help you stay the course. Here are the top 5:
- Be More Positive: Is delivering TLC to your patients sometimes a chore because of other things going on in your life? Try Gretchen Rubin’s “The Happiness Project”, either in book form or by going to her website, for great insights and a practical guide to becoming a more positive you. Then download the “1Thing (gratitude journal)” app for your iPhone or computer and draw on a positive affirmation that throughout your workday.
- Lose Weight and Get Fit: Do you find yourself preaching daily exercise and healthy eating to your patients without taking your own advice? Check out Gary Scholar’s new book “Fit Nurse” with wellness plans suited to a demanding schedule. Also check out “MapMyRun GPS Running” a free iPhone app, where you can save your exercise routes, log times, and brag about your efforts to others on Facebook and Twitter.
- Spend More Time with Family and Friends: Are you a traveling therapist/nurse? Do you work shifts? Or do you simply wish you had a better work-life balance? A must read is Sharon Weinstein’s “B is For Balance”. This clinician/business- woman/wife/mother has hundreds of tips for achieving equilibrium. Not sure how thin you’re spread? Download the free “Life Balance 24/7” iphone app and set timers for each of nine activities. Restarting these as you improve time spent on each category… especially family.
- Get Organized: Feel like the clutter has taken over your work environment, as well as your home? We can’t help with your closets, but there are mobile apps and/or good reference books when it comes to the healthcare sector. The “All in One Care Planning Resource” has over a 100 nursing care plans for every clinical setting. The supplemental on-line resource has tutorials to help create your own plans and stay up to date on clinical developments. “iConnect-Notes” is a free app for both iPhone and iPad. It allows you to take written and audio notes, as well as photos, from your devices and then share patient information directly with other clinicians.
- Improve Your Financial/Work Situation: Itching to make a change? Our advice is simple….contact Centra at 800 535 0076 and let our team help you make at least this resolution a reality!