Did You Know???
As American Heart Month winds down here are ten interesting facts related to heart health:
- “Men’s Health Magazine” has named San Jose, CA as the second healthiest city in America for men, with the lowest rate of mortality from heart disease for 2013.
- Eating salmon twice a week can lower by one third the risk of a heart attack.
- Women are more likely to suffer “broken heart” syndrome due to stress/grief.
- The longer a man’s ring finger, the lower his risk for heart attack.
- More heart attacks occur on Monday mornings than any other day of the week.
- Married men and women are at a lower risk for myocardial infarction than singles.
- Each minute of brisk walking increases lifespan by almost two minutes.
- A horse’s heart rate will mirror that of the person petting/riding them.
- The first open heart surgery was performed in 1893 and the first successful heart transplant in 1967.
- Two thirds of patients receiving therapeutic hypothermia following cardiac arrest recover good heart function.