The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) is predicting a shortage of more than 90,000 primary care physicians by the end of this decade. Nurse Practitioners may be able to close some of those gaps in service, provided projections of a 30% job growth in the profession come to fruition. They already play a role in disease prevention and management, conducting physicals, writing prescriptions, ordering tests and providing patient education. That role will become even more vital with the Affordable Care Act’s (ACA) emphasis on wellness and with the greying of America. NPs have specialized practice areas similar to physicians, with commensurate salaries. The highest salaries are consistently in geriatric medicine, but will vary by state. To compare salaries across the nation access this resource.
Are you a new or veteran Nurse Practitioner looking to contribute fully to the American healthcare system and earn a salary commensurate with your talents? Contact the Centra Team at 800 535 0076 and we will use cutting edge technology, a roster of exclusive employers and personalized concierge service to ensure a successful conclusion to your employment search.
Even if you are a born leader, being a Nurse Manager is not always an easy task. It requires strong interpersonal and managerial skills to balance financial, legal and personnel needs with providing quality service and successful outcomes to patients. Whether you are a veteran or newly appointed Nurse Manager, the following innovative and informative resources can support you in your task:
- Medical Improv: A one of a kind five day workshop using theatrical improvisational techniques to enhance communication and teamwork in medical settings. Upon completion, you will be able to implement the course in your own institution as well as train others.
- “Pain Relief for New Managers”: Download this ebook by Nance Goldstein, certified professional coach and leadership development trainer. The easy reading pages are filled with case scenarios and resolutions.
- Legal Issues for Clinical Nurses & Legal Nurse Consultants Cruise: An interactive conference at sea full of timely information regarding all legal aspects involved in nursing. See the Eastern Caribbean and network at the same time. The ship sails February 8-15, 2014.
- MSN in Innovation and Intra/Entrepreneurship in Advanced Nursing Practice: The first of its kind online Master’s given by Drexel University, for those interested in transforming nursing as we know it.
- Nurse Manager Academy: Not yet ready to pursue a degree? Take this 4 day intensive program designed to provide you with insights and practical strategies for the job. Meet your peers at Johns Hopkins for the next session September 9-13, 2013.
Know of other programs and resources of interest to your fellow Nurse Managers, let us know on our Facebook page. Want to make a career move into a new position as a Nurse Manager? Contact the Centra Team at 800 535 0076 or download our mobile app.
We all want a work-life balance that enables us to live up to our full potential. Sometimes that includes continuing education, either formal or informal. The growth of distance learning programs has made it possible for healthcare professionals to enhance their knowledge base, complete their degrees and expand their career options, without having to give up their current positions. Recently, U.S. News and World Report put out its rankings for graduate online nursing programs, and here are the top ten:
- Ferris State University, Big Rapids, MI (MSN) : all graduate level, online course recorded and posted for easy access of materials.
- Lamar University, Beaumont, TX (MSN) : requires licensure but not practical nursing experience for admission.
- University of Michigan-Flint, Flint, MI (DNP) : tracks are available for both BSN and MSN degree holders with clinical courses arranged in the student’s area.
- Clarkson College, Omaha, NE (MSN) : practical nursing experience is required. With the exception of Nurse Anesthesia, all majors may be completed online.
- Graceland University, Independence, MO (MSN) and (DNP) : a leader in distance learning since 1988, MSN students are required to attend 2 on campus focus sessions.
- Loyola University New Orleans, New Orleans, LA (MSN) and (DNP) : Both degrees prepare nurses for leadership roles or Integrated Behavioral Health concentrations.
- Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, PA (MSN) and (DNP) : degree graduates will be able to transform the current healthcare delivery system and design new ones.
- Stony Brook University-SUNY, Stony Brook, NY (MSN) and (DNP) : both degrees carry on-site requirements and are research-centric.
- University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA (MSN) and (DNP): highly interactive studies led by university faculty and practice focused.
- East Carolina University, Greenville, NC (MSN) : 7 specialty areas, including Gerontology and Midwifery are available online and approval is pending on an online DNP.
Check out the complete list to find a program that will fulfill your aspirations and open new opportunities, and contact the Centra Team at 800 535 0076 for immediate outstanding NP, RN and Nursing Manager positions.