According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the mean annual wage for Physical Therapy Assistants is at $52,320 or $25.15 an hour. With an above average outlook for demand in the profession, the prospect for salaries to increase accordingly seems certain through the end of this decade. There are some simple ways you can augment or raise your salary. Here are five:
- Education is Key: Specialization in areas like pediatrics, orthopeadics or geriatrics can translate into significantly higher wages. Don’t have the time or means to specialize? Get certified in Basic Life Support (BLS), Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), massage therapy, or athletic training which don’t require time off from work and add to your net worth.
- Choose the Right Environment: All workplaces are not created equal - especially when it comes to pay. Private facilities generally pay more than public ones, and among those, home health care services, SNFs and ALFs pay the highest for PTA services.
- Experience Matters: Surveys have shown that PTAs with 5 years experience post-certification can expect to add about $5 to their hourly wage. The importance of gaining experience led The American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) to create a Certificate of Recognition of Advanced Proficiency for the PTA, awarded to its members with 5 years experience in selected specialties.
- Location, Location, Location: As with other healthcare professions, PTA salaries vary from state to state. Texas leads the top five, where according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the mean wage of PTAs is over $13,000 above the national average cited above. Nevada, New Jersey, California and Connecticut round out the list.
- Have A Friend In Your Corner: Centra knows how invaluable industry experts are in the employment process, including preparations for salary negotiations. We are committed to working with your individual set of skills and education to find you the best fit for your economic needs and job satisfaction. Call us today at 800 535 0076 and see how the Centra Team can be an advocate for you!